Almond Chicken History
Almond Chicken is an American Chinese cuisine dish which was basically made by the Chinese immigrants who migrated from China to different parts of United States Of America.These Chinese immigrants were expert at making almond chicken.
When the population of Chinese immigrants started to grow at a reasonable rate in the US the Government of the US put laws in place so that these Chinese immigrants cannot purchase and own land in the US.These Chinese immigrants started to live together as ghettos which is also called China town which is situated in the city in the US named as San Francisco and it was at that time when these Chinese immigrants started their own small business in the form of small hotels and restaurants and they are owned by these Chinese immigrants.In these restaurants different foods were introduced to appeal the taste buds of the American people.In order to win the hearts of the American peoples these Chinese immigrants added some American touch in their Chinese food and that was the time when the American Chinese cuisine were introduced by these restaurants in China town and almond chicken was part of that American Chinese cuisine.
These restaurants initially served foods like pork chops dishes,apple dishes bean and egg dishes and changes were made in the food to suit more American palate.These Chinese immigrants first gave their catering services to miners and railroad workers and they introduced their Chinese food by adapting local ingredients to the peoples who are unfamiliar to these kind of foods.
American Chinese food is basically the style of food prepared in Guangdong province of China from where the majority of Chinese people came from china to the US before the closure of the immigration from US in 1924.
The most influential cuisine which has influence on the Chinese American cuisine is the Cantonese cuisine which is the cuisine of Toisan District of Guangdong province from which the most of the Chinese immigrants came to the US from china.
Cooking time: 2 ¼ hours Serves 6
This combination of almond and lemon flavors is perfect with chicken .Nuts,almonds in particular, have been used with chicken for many centuries.
(1) For the stuffing Of Almond Chicken
Soft breadcrumbs 100 g/4 oz or 2 cups in American
(2) Almonds blanched and flaked 100 g/4 oz or 1 cup in American
(3) Grated lemon rind 1 teaspoon or 1 teaspoon in American
(4) Lemon juice 2 tbsp or 3 tbsp in American
(5) Chopped parsley 2 tbsp or 3 tbsp in American
(6) Chopped lemon thyme 1 teaspoon or 1 teaspoon in American
(7) Butter or margarine melted 50 g/2 oz or 1/4 cup in American
(8) Salt and pepper to taste or to taste in American
(9) Egg 1 or 1 in American
(10) Chicken with giblets except livers 1.8 kg/4 lb or 4 lb in American
(11) Medium onions sliced 1 or 1 in American
(12) Water 600 ml/1 pint or 2½ cups in American
(13) Parsley sprig or sprig in American
(14) Lemon thyme sprig or sprig in American
(15) For the sauce:
Butter or margarine 25 g/1 oz or 2 tbsp in American
(16) Flour 25 g/1 oz or 2 tbsp in American
(17) chicken stock (recipe given below) 600 ml/1 pint or 2½ cups in American
(18) Ground almonds 50 g/2 oz or 1/2 cup in American
(19) Lemon juice 1 tbsp or 1 tbsp in American
(20) Egg yolks 2 or 2 in American
(21) Almonds blanched and flaked 25 g/1 oz or 1/4 cup in American
Mix together all the ingredients for the stuffing .Put into the neck end of the chicken and sew or skewer the skin over the stuffing to enclose it completely.
Put the chicken giblets except the liver which tends to give too strong a flavor to the stock into a very deep casserole. Cover with a very well fitting lid.
Cook in the center of a very moderate oven,160°C/325°F Gas mark 3,for 2 hours.Lift the chicken on to a heated dish and keep hot.
Heat the butter or a margarine in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.Strain the stock from the casserole into the pan (it should still be about 600 ml/1 pint (2 ½ cups).If some of the stock has evaporated,add a little water to give the right amount.Whisk or stir as the sauce comes to the boil and thickens very slightly.Whisk in the ground almonds .Blend the lemon juice and egg yolks in a bowl.Whisk on a little of the hot sauce, then add to the pan and simmer gently for 10 minutes; do not allow to boil.Season to taste.
To serve this dish first spoon the stuffing on to a dish.Carve the chicken and place over the stuffing.Coat with about the quarter of the sauce and the almonds.Serve the rest of the sauce separately.
Serve with cooked rice and broccoli or another green vegetable.