Cooking time: 2 ¼ hours Serves 6
This combination of almond and lemon flavours is perfect with chicken .Nuts,almonds in particular, have been used with chicken for many centuries.
(1) For the stuffing:
Soft breadcrumbs 100 g/4 oz or 2 cups in American
(2) Almonds blanched and flaked 100 g/4 oz or 1 cup in American
(3) Grated lemon rind 1 teaspoon or 1 teaspoon in American
(4) Lemon juice 2 tbsp or 3 tbsp in American
(5) Chopped parsley 2 tbsp or 3 tbsp in American
(6) Chopped lemon thyme 1 teaspoon or 1 teaspoon in American
(7) Butter or margarine melted 50 g/2 oz or 1/4 cup in American
(8) Salt and pepper to taste or to taste in American
(9) Egg 1 or 1 in American
(10) Chicken with giblets except livers 1.8 kg/4 lb or 4 lb in American
(11) Medium onions sliced 1 or 1 in American
(12) Water 600 ml/1 pint or 2½ cups in American
(13) Parsley sprig or sprig in American
(14) Lemon thyme sprig or sprig in American
(15) For the sauce:
Butter or margarine 25 g/1 oz or 2 tbsp in American
(16) Flour 25 g/1 oz or 2 tbsp in American
(17) chicken stock (recipe given below) 600 ml/1 pint or 2½ cups in American
(18) Ground almonds 50 g/2 oz or 1/2 cup in American
(19) Lemon juice 1 tbsp or 1 tbsp in American
(20) Egg yolks 2 or 2 in American
(21) Almonds blanched and flaked 25 g/1 oz or 1/4 cup
Mix together all the ingredients for the stuffing .Put into the neck end of the chicken and sew or skewer the skin over the stuffing to enclose it completely.
Put the chicken giblets except the liver which tends to give too strong a flavor to the stock into a very deep casserole. Cover with a very well fitting lid.
Cook in the center of a very moderate oven,160°C/325°F Gas mark 3,for 2 hours.Lift the chicken on to a heated dish and keep hot.
Heat the butter or a margarine in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.Strain the stock from the casserole into the pan (it should still be about 600 ml/1 pint (2 ½ cups).If some of the stock has evaporated,add a little water to give the right amount.Whisk or stir as the sauce comes to the boil and thickens very slightly.Whisk in the ground almonds .Blend the lemon juice and egg yolks in a bowl.Whisk on a little of the hot sauce, then add to the pan and simmer gently for 10 minutes; do not allow to boil.Season to taste.
To serve this dish first spoon the stuffing on to a dish.Carve the chicken and place over the stuffing.Coat with about the quarter of the sauce and the almonds.Serve the rest of the sauce separately.
Serve with cooked rice and broccoli or another green vegetable.