Savory Swiss Stake
Scale lb=pound qt= 32 ounce oz= 1 ounce tsp=teaspoon pt= 16 ounce
YIELDS: 50 PORTIONS EACH PORTION: about 5 oz. with 2 oz,sauce
|1. Dredge steaks in seasoned flour .Pour oil in skillet to depth of 1/8 in,;heat.Add steaks and brown on both sides.Place steaks in brazier or roast pan.|
|2. Combine all ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes to make hot stock.|
|Salad oil |
| 1 pt |
|3. Saute onions,garlic and celery in oil in sauce pot until vegetables are tender.Add flour to make roux.Stir and cook for 10 minutes.;browning lightly.|
4. Strain hot stock and add gradually to roux,stirring until thickened and smooth.Adjust seasoning with salt if desired and pour sauce over steaks.Bake at 350 degree F.about 2 hr. or until tender.
5. Serve one steak per portion with sauce.
Braised Short Ribs Of Beef Recipe
Scale pt=16 ounce qt=32 ounce lb=pound or 16 ounce oz=ounce
ea=each serving tsp=teaspoon tbsp=table spoon
YIELD : 50 portions EACH PORTION: 10 oz. rib with 3 oz sauce
| short ribs |
| 50 (about|
1 ½ lb
|1. Trim ribs; remove fat and tie meat to bone.|
2. Put vegetables in lightly greased roasting pan and place short ribs on top.
| salad oil |
| 1 pt|
|3. Pour 1 cup oil evenly over all. Combine spices and sprinkle as evenly as possible|
over top.Brown in oven at 400 degree F.,turning as necessary.Do not let vegetables
| Bread Flour |
| 1 lb |
4. When nicely brown add remainder of oil and flour blending well.Cook for 5 to
10 minutes Add hot stock stirring to mix well until slightly thickened.Add
tomatoes and blend.Cover,return to oven and cook to 2 to 2 1/2 hours or
5. When ribs are cooked remove to clean pan.Strain sauce Adjust seasoning and thickening.Remove excess fat.Pour sauce over ribs.
6. Hold for service in warm place but do not continue to cook .When serving remove string.Serve one 10 oz rib portion with 3 oz sauce. A fresh vegetable garnish may be added.
Baked Hamburger loaf Recipe
Scale lb=pound oz=1 ounce
YIELD: 50 portion EACH PORTION: 1 slice with 2 oz sauce
| Onions , chopped|
| 3 lb |
|1. Saute onions and celery in oil until tender.|
| Bread trimmed|
| 1 1/2 lb|
2. Place bread in large mixing bowl and add milk mix thoroughly until smooth.
3. Add eggs,celery,onions and seasonings.
4. Add beef and mix thoroughly.If mixture is too moist adjust consistency by adding
bread or cracker crumbs.
5. Form in 3 lb loaves.Place in lightly greased roast pan and lightly oil outside
6. Bake in preheated oven at 350° F for 1 ½ hours.
Scale lb=pound oz=1 ounce
YIELD: 50 Portions EACH PORTION: 6 oz
| Sirloin strips ,|
, small eye
| 20 lb |
1. Using extreme care cut 6 oz portions (full cut).Use sharp knife and portion
scale.Eye must be small or steaks must be too thin.
2. Chill well before cooking.Thinly cut room temperature steaks may cook all the way through before acquiring any outside color. Thinly cut chilled steaks are more apt to color before cooking all the way through.Steaks are never cooked well done except by request.Keep rare if possible.
3. Place lightly oiled or buttered steaks in pan or on hot griddle.Brown on one side ,turn and brown on the other side.Thin steaks particularly should be cooked to order.Steaks may be sauteed or pan broiled Broiling is usually reserved for thicker steaks.
4 . Serve plain, with chopped parsley.au beurre or white maitre d’hotel butter.