Beef rouladen was originated from Germany and is made of sliced beef with vegetables and pickles in it
Scale : lb=pound pt= 16 ounce oz= 1 ounce tbsp=table spoon
YIELD : 20 portions EACH PORTION: 2 rolls
Step One To Prepare Beef Rouladen
- Slice beef in 2 oz pieces (3 inch by 4 inch).Flatten with cleaver.
Step Two To Prepare Beef Rouladen
(1) Bacons chopped 1 lb
(2) Lean raw smoked ham scraps chopped 1/2 lb
(3) Ground beef 1/4 lb
(4) Onions chopped sauteed 5 oz
(5) Eggs beaten 4
(6) Fine dry crumbs 1½ pt
(7) Parsley chopped 2 tbsp
(8) Sweet pickled strips thin 40
2. Combine bacon,ham,ground beef ,onions,eggs,bread crumbs and parsley; mix well.
3. Put 1 oz filling and 1 pickle strip on each piece of meat.Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
Step Three To Prepare Beef Rouladen
4. Dredge rolls in seasoned flour.Brown on all sides in hot oil.Place browned rolls in baking pan.
Step Four To Prepare Beef Rouladen
Brown sauce (re
cipe of brown
sauce is given
below this recipe).
Dry red wine
5. Combine all sauce ingredients and blend ;pour over rolls.Cover tightly ;braise at 350° F. 1 ½ hours or until meat is tender.Turn once during braising.Strain sauce and serve over rouladen.Serve 2 rouladen per portion.
Step One To Prepare Brown Sauce
Scale lb=pound oz=1 ounce qt=32 ounce
YIELD: 5 qt
Butter or margarine
or other fat agent
|1 lb |
1. Saute all vegetables in butter or fat in heavy sauce pot until onions are transparent.
2. Add flour and cook for 10 minutes
Step Two To Prepare Brown Sauce
Brown stock hot
Tomato puree( re
cipe given below
Bay leaf ,whole
3. Add hot brown stock and Tomato puree stirring until slightly thickened and smooth
4. Add bay leaf salt and pepper and cook for 1 ½ hours .
5. Adjust flavor and consistency.
6. Strain and hold for service.
Basic Brown Stock
YIELD: about 4½ gallon
Step One To Prepare Brown Stock
(1) Beef bones 25 lb
(1) Review preparation of stock.Cut bones with meat saw.
(2) Place the bones in a large roasting pan and brown in preheated oven at 375° F.
(3) Turn bones occasionally to brown uniformly.
(4) Remove bones from pan and place in stock pot.
Step Two To Prepare Brown Stock
Water to cover about 6 gallons
(5) Drain fat from pan and reserve.
(6) Deglaze roast pan with part of water to dissolve crusting.
(7) Cover bones cool water and deglazing liquor and bring to a boil.
(8) Reduce heat and simmer 3 hours.
Step Three To Prepare Brown Stock
Onions 2 lb
Celery 1 lb
carrots 1 lb
tomatoes canned 1/2 no.10 can
Bay leaves 3
Thyme 1 tsp
peppercorns crushed 1 tsp
cloves whole 6
(9) saute vegetables for mirepoix in reserved fat until browned.
(10) Add mirepoix,tomatoes,spices,herbs to stock.
(11) Simmer for an additional 3 hrs.
(12) strain through china cap and cheesecloth.
(13) Vent and cool.Refrigerate.Use as required.