Creamy keto chocolate pudding made with coconut milk. This delicious sugar-free pudding takes only 20 minutes to make and is totally dairy-free. A wonderful low carb dessert the whole family loves. Updated recipe!
HOW TO MAKE COCONUT MILK PUDDING
- Use full fat coconut milk. For one thing, this is a keto diet and that fat is healthy stuff! And for another, the thicker version will help the pudding set properly.
- Use coconut milk that contains a bit of guar gum, which will also help your keto pudding set properly.
- Bring your coconut milk to a full simmer. You don’t necessarily want it to boil but you want it to simmer strongly before moving to the next step.
- Properly temper your egg yolks. What does this mean? It’s the process of slowly adding hot liquid to the yolks as you whisk, to bring them up to temperature. This helps ensure that they don’t curdle when you add them back into the pan with the rest of the liquid.
- Use good cocoa powder.Have some chopped chocolate in this recipe but just cocoa powder works best. Choose a good quality brand.
- Yes, the additional xanthan gum is still necessary to make it thicken up properly.
CHOCOLATE COCONUT MILK PUDDING
Creamy keto chocolate pudding made with coconut milk. This delicious sugar-free pudding takes only 20 minutes to make and is totally dairy-free. A wonderful low carb dessert the whole family loves.
- 1 13.5- oz full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp coconut oil OR 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the coconut milk and Swerve. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Slowly add 1/2 cup of the hot coconut milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking continuously.
- Slowly whisk the tempered egg yolks back into the saucepan of hot coconut milk. Reduce heat to medium low and sprinkle with xanthan gum, whisking continuously. Stir in cocoa powder and cook until mixture thickens, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the coconut oil and vanilla extract until smooth. Divide between 6 dessert cups and refrigerate until set, 2 to 3 hours.
- Garnish with lightly sweetened coconut whipped cream, some berries, or some macadamia nuts.
Amount Per Serving (1 serving = 1/6th of recipe)
Calories 228 Calories from Fat 203% Daily Value*Fat 22.6 g 35%Carbohydrates 4.9 g 2%Fiber 1.8 g 7%Protein 3.6 g 7%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.