This pineapple upside-down cake is a classic recipe that never goes out of style! It’s delicious with the traditional pineapple, but try it with peaches or a combination of cranberries and orange.
Makes 9 servings
Prep: 20 min
Bake: 30 min. + standing
Total Time 50 min
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 maraschino cherries
- Whipped topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan, combine butter and brown sugar. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange 9 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar (refrigerate any remaining slices for another use). Sprinkle pecans over pineapple; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to batter, beating well.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice. If desired, serve with whipped topping.
Peach Upside-Down Cake: Omit the pineapple, pecans and cherries. Drain 1 can (15 ounces) sliced peaches, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange peaches over brown sugar. Substitute reserved peach juice for the pineapple juice. Cranberry Orange Upside-Down Cake: Omit the pineapple, pecans and cherries. Sprinkle 1 cup halved fresh or frozen cranberries and 1 chopped peeled orange over brown sugar. Substitute 1/3 cup orange juice for the pineapple juice.
1 piece: 361 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.