Italian bread is a famous bread and in this recipe i am going to tell you how to make it from scratch.It has been flavored with extra virgin olive oil,sea salt and rosemary. It can be made with different toppings like caramelized onions,dried tomatoes etc.
Making Italian bread is quiet easy all you need to do is some working on the dough with your palms and fingers,creating holes in the dough by stretching.It has a soft crumb with crispy top and bottom crust.
For best results for a soft and elastic bread use a strong flour rich in gluten as well as for an irresistible flavor you have to have first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and fresh rosemary.
30 minutes +resting time
Take 5 cups (630 g) bread flour
Take 3 tsp fresh dry yeast
2 tsp or 15g flaky salt
2/3 cup or 400 ml luke warm water
1/4 cup or 56g extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp or 10g sugar For the topping
56 gram or 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp or 30 ml water
Fresh chopped rosemary
1 .Whisk together flour and salt.
2. Stir fresh yeast with sugar in a small bowl until it liquefies. In 2/3 cup or 160 ml water dissolve yeast and then add it to the flour mixture.Add the remaining 1 cup water and the oil.Combine with a wooden flour and then knead for about 5-10 minutes on a lightly floured surface util smooth.
3 .In a lightly oiled bowl transfer the dough.Then cover it with a plastic wrap and rest it for about 1 hour at room temperature until double in size.The dough should be placed in a warm place.
4 .Shape the dough into a rectangle on a lightly oiled surface and fold it in 3,rotate,stretch it a bit again and fold in 3.
5. In a greased bowl place the folded dough, cover it and let it rest for 30 minutes.
6. Grease a 12×16 inch or (30x40cm) baking sheet with extra virgin olive oil.
7. In the prepared baking sheet place the dough and stretch it with your palm to so that it fits the entire pan.
8. Cover it and let it rest for 30 minutes.
9. Then preheat oven to 425°F or 22°C.
10. Chop fresh thyme and rosemary.Combine oi with water in a small bowl.
11. Create holes in the dough by using your fingers.Pour the water and oil mixture over the dough thus filling the holes in the dough.Sprinkle chopped herbs and flaky sea salt.
12. Bake for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown.Add some more olive oil if desired right after taking it out of the oven.
13. .Let it cool slightly and have a delicious Italian bread.
Nutrition This Italian Bread Contains
1 out of 10 servings contains calories 332,saturated fat 1.6 g, fat 11.2 g, carbohydrates 50.4 g, sugar 1.2 g, fiber 2.4 gram, protein 7.7 g, cholesterol: o mg, sodium 603 mg, vitamin D 0mcg, calcium 15 mg 1%, Iron 4 mg 20%, potassium 129 mg 3%
Daily percent values are based on 2000 calorie diet.