History Of Roast Duckling a l’ Orange
Roast duckling a l’ Orange is a classic French dish which French claims that it migrated from France to Italy.Italian poet Antonio Caccitore detailed his first encounter with roast duckling outside Italy in its poem Anatra all Arancia which tells how this dish made its way to Paris from its origin in Naples.
YIELD for roast duckling a l orange: 48 portions EACH PORTION : ¼ DUCK , 2 OZ, sauce
scale : oz= 1 ounce pt = 16 ounce qt= 32 ounce ea=each serving
1 gallon= 3.78 litre tsp=teaspoon tbsp=tablespoon
Step One To Prepare Roast Duckling a l’ Orange
|Duckling ( 5 to 6|
1. Season cavity of ducks with salt and pepper.
2. Truss ducks and place breast up on racks in roast pan.
3. Roast in oven preheated to 400°F for 1 ½ to 2 hours.or until done turning as
Step Two To Prepare Roast Duckling
4. Peel zest from oranges and lemons.Squeeze juice from zested fruit. Combine juices and reserve.
5. Cut zest in fine julienne and blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes.Drain well and
Step Three To Prepare Roast Duckling
Vinegar , wine
6. Place the sugar in a saucepan.Cook over low heat until sugar is caramelized.
7. Add the vinegar and reserved fruit juices.Plus 1 pt orange juice.Reduce to half.
8. Combine with espagnole and hold over low heat.
Step Four To Prepare Roast Duckling a l’ Orange
|White wine (dry)||1 pt|
9. When ducks are cooked remove to a clean pan and keep ducks warm.
10. Pour off all fat from pan. Deglaze pan with white wine and strain resulting liquor
into sauce.Simmer sauce for about 5 minutes to finish.
11. Adjust seasoning and consistency as required.
12. Cut ducks in portion size , removing small breast, bones etc.
13. For serving sprinkle each duck portion with a small amount of blanched orange and lemon zest.Serve about 2 oz of sauce over each duck portion.
Step Five To Prepare Roast Duckling
If using Cointreau and/ or currant jelly they should be added to sauce with deglazing liquor and simmered for about 5 minutes to finish sauce.
Note: For quantity service fruit zest may be added directly to sauce immediately prior to serving.