Introduction And History Of Swiss Steak
People literally take the word used in swiss steak as the stake that is related to the country Switzerland.It has nothing to do with Switzerland.The term ‘Swiss’ is a English word which means to tenderize something with the help of a tenderizer for instance the Swiss steak is “swissed” or made soft and plain by the help of a wooden mallet or by an electric tenderizer.
It is generally known as the economy meal and it is tenderized because mostly the beef cut or beef round is used to make the swiss steak which is a tough meat.
Step One To Prepare Swiss Steak
Scale lb=pound qt= 32 ounce oz= 1 ounce tsp=teaspoon pt= 16 ounce
YIELDS: 50 PORTIONS EACH PORTION: about 5 oz. with 2 oz,sauce
oned with salt
1. Dredge steaks in seasoned flour .Pour oil in skillet to depth of 1/8 in,;heat.Add steaks and brown on both sides.Place steaks in brazier or roast pan.
Step Two To Prepare Swiss Steak
2. Combine all ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes to make hot stock.
Step Three To Prepare Swiss Steak
|Salad oil |
3. Saute onions,garlic and celery in oil in sauce pot until vegetables are tender.Add flour to make roux.Stir and cook for 10 minutes.;browning lightly.
4. Strain hot stock and add gradually to roux,stirring until thickened and smooth.Adjust seasoning with salt if desired and pour sauce over steaks.Bake at 350°F.about 2 hr. or until tender.
5. Serve one steak per portion with sauce.